Provided by: Cvandyke/Shutterstock.com
John J. Royal of Morehead City and Winfield S. Chadwick of Beaufort assumed the reins of the project and began construction of Oaksmith’s resort in 1887 in what is now Club Colony. Commencing in the form of a bathing pavilion for guests wishing to bathe in the ocean, the resort bore instant success. Royal and Chadwick would split their holdings in 1898, and the former would proceed to build his own grand pavilion in what is today’s Sportsman’s Pier.
Following Royal’s death in 1909, a hotel was eventually developed near present day Courie’s Villa. The beach development would be called many things, from Atlantic View Beach, to Ocean Beach, to Money Island Beach. Asbury Beach was the next development, coming in the 1920s and the days of segregation; Asbury was therefore a beach exclusively for blacks. 1926 would spell certain doom for Money Island Beach and the Chadwick/Asbury pavilions: two corporations were sanctioned to purchase and develop a new resort on Bogue Banks, as well as to construct a bridge across Bogue Sound in order to provide access to this new area. Thus “Atlantic Beach” was born.
By 1928, Atlantic Beach was completed, providing a quick vacation that could be reached by car. And the rest, as they say, is history.