Provided by: Ayuntamiento de Mojácr
Section in Mojácar
Places to Visit
The church : was built at the end of the 16th Century (1560) over the remains of an earlier mosque, the works initiated by the stonemason Sebastian Segura. Converted to Christian use following the Reconquest, the building served both as a religious centre and as a defensive fortress. Standing out is the simplicity of its interior, which houses a beautiful and significant 1960s fresco, a work by an itinerant artist. The church’s altarpiece was lost during events in the Civil War. Its small collection of religious images includes those of San Agustín and Nuestra Señora del Rosario, the village’s two patron saints. The city´s gate: This is the original access to Mojácar. The gate we can see today was rebuilt in the 16th century on the site of the original Arab gate. It opened out onto the hill that led to the fountain and Plaza del Caño. It boasts the city Ðs coat of arms and the two-headed eagle of the house of Austria. The Plaza Nueva viewpoint: This plaza is undoubtedly the centre of life in Mojácar. Full of atmosphere and life, it is the ideal spot to begin our visit, or to simply sit or to watch the sun go down. From the viewpoint you can see over the large valley bordered by the Cabrera, Bédar and Almagrera mountains. Right in front we can see the bed of the Aguas, the river which flows past Mojácar La Vieja (the former site of Mojácar) before coming out into the lagoon. Pirulico´s tower ( At the beach area)
Read more
Santa Maria Church

Santa Maria Church

The church was built at the end of the 16th Century (1560) over the remains of an earlier mosque, the works initiated by the stonemason Sebastian Segura. Converted to Christian use following the Reconquest, the building served both as a religious centre and as a defensive fortress. Standing out is the simplicity of its interior, which houses a beautiful and significant 1960s fresco, a work by an itinerant artist. The church’s altarpiece was lost during events in the Civil War. Its small collection of religious images includes those of San Agustín and Nuestra Señora del Rosario, the village’s two patron saints.
Read more
The historical fountain

The historical fountain

The fountain has twelve spouts in front and one to the side, which feed into three basins. Perpendicular to these, there are three different channels to one side, and another. Each one fulfils a separate function. The site of the fountain is mentioned in old Arab writings, it being of vital importance for the main location of the village. In olden times, the fountain was the neurological centre of mojaquero social life due to the importance of water for livestock, agriculture and a continuous supply for human use. Throughout history it has served various purposes, and has given rise to the development of trades such as water-carrier, washerwoman or irrigation-watchman. Nearby used to be the water mill, which together with the fountain, made this an area of socio-economic importance, which in turn was the basis of an important commercial structure.
Read more
View on map