The Venetian walls offer access to the city through four gates. On the Porta di Sant’Agostino the lion of St. Mark can be seen (as on all the gates), as it was necessary to show foreign visitors that Venice ruled here in Bergamo.
The western gate is that of Sant’Alessandro, thus named because the church of the same saint stood nearby.
The smallest gate is Porta Garibaldi, originally known as Porta San Lorenzo and renamed when Garibaldi entered the city through it in 1859. It is the least striking of the four gates as historically it was used only by traders carrying goods from northern Europe and not by the important members of society who entered the city through the other three.
Porta San Giacomo, on the other hand, built in the sixteenth century, is made of white marble and was the first gate that could be seen by those arriving from the flatlands. Today it can be admired from the lower town, especially from Porta Nuova.