The National Museum is located in the center of Belgrade, on the main city square - Trg Republike. The museum was established on 10 May 1844. It moved into the present building in 1950, with the grand opening of the venue on 23 May 1952. New permanent collection of the National museum represents a huge chronological period from the Paleolithic period to 20th-century art. The collection is organized and presented on three levels and 5000sqm of exhibition space. Carefully selected artifacts will tell their stories about history and arts. Foreign collection of modern art includes Giovanni di Paolo, the circle of Paolo Veneziano, Tintoretto, Van Utrecht, Rubens, Van Gogh, Mondrian, Pissarro, Degas, Monet, Renoir, Sisley, Toulouse-Lautrec, Matisse, Derain, Picasso, Kandinsky, Archipenko and Chagall. After being closed for renovation for 15 years, the museum was re-opened to the public on 28 June 2018. The National Museum of Serbia building was declared a Monument of Culture of Great Importance in 1979.