Provided by: Opatija Tourist Board
VeprinacThe guide was updated:
The old part of the town can be reached by passing the town gate with three arches, which is located in the former municipal building. On the right, in front of the town gate, is the loggia, and on the left is St. Anne's Chapel with an inscription from 1442. During recent restoration work, the remnants of some interesting frescoes were found on the walls inside the chapel, but these still need to be researched in more detail. The building right by the town gate hosts an ethnological collection presenting items, tools and documents that illustrate how people in this area used to live in the past.
The ascent up stone steps to the entrance to the church yard of St. Mark's parish church; the wonderful views of Kvarner Bay and Opatija on the sea side, and Mount Učka in the hinterland; the church yard where time seems to be standing still – this is Veprinac, the ancient town above Opatija Riviera where at every turn one can feel the nostalgic spirit of the times gone by. Just like the local poet Josip Stanić wrote in his verses – Veprinac seems to almost touch the heaven
- Public Transport: Bus lines 34, 35 A