Regional Archaeological Museum

The Regional Archaeological Museum is one of the oldest cultural institutions in Bulgaria, founded in 1882. Seven temporary collections are exposed in the museum: Prehistoric Art, The Panagyurishte Gold Treasure (Thracian Art), Ancient Greek Art, Roman Art, Medieval Art, Bulgarian Revival Art and a Numismatic Collection. The Antiquity Department of the Museum displays more than 5,000 artefacts illustrating the Thracian-Roman Arts. Diverse collection of over 60,000 coins dated VI c. B. C. - XX c. A. D. can be seen in the museum's Numismatic Department.
Read more

Regional Historical Museum - Exposition of Bulgarian Unification 1885

The exposition of Unification of Bulgaria - 1885 has been arranged in the building of the Province assembly (the Parliament) of Eastern Rumelia, designed by the architect Pierre Montani. The museum exposition was opened in 1985 on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the Unification of Principality of Bulgaria and East Rumelia. It represents the period beginning with the Treaty of Berlin (1878), till the Serbo-Bulgarian War of 1885. Original items (personal belongings, award tokens, cold steel and firearms), photos and documents belonging to the participants in the Unification and the Serbo-Bulgarian War are displayed in five exhibition halls on area of 900 sq.m.
Read more

Regional Historical Museum - Bulgarian National Revival Exposition

The Bulgarian National Revival Exposition is displayed in the House of Dimitar Georgiadi in the Old Town, which is a cultural monument of national importance. The house was built in 1848 on commission of the wealthy Bulgarian craftsman Georgi Kendindenoglou and represents the so-called Symmetric Revival house. The exposition traces back the history of Plovdiv in the period XV-XIX century on the area of ten halls and two salons of the house. The halls on the first floor display the ethnic diversity and economic development of Plovdiv during the Ottoman rule. On the second and third floor there is exposition representing the struggle for independent church and education.
Read more

Plovdiv - Full of Life

Come with friends!

Regional Historical Museum - Exposition of Book Publishing in Bulgaria in 19th-20th century

The exposition of the Bulgarian book publishing took place in the house of the founder of the modern Bulgarian book publishing Hristo Gruev Danov in 1975. The house was erected in the mid-19th century and is a typical example of a symmetric house from the Revival period. The transition from the ceiling to walls is painted with alternating 12 medallions, four of them depicting Johann Gutenberg. The section of the exposition holds more than 5000 volumes of books, unique publications, geographic maps and school pictures and aids, items of everyday life, personal belongings and correspondence of Hristo Danov and his publisher’s house.
Read more

Museum Center of Modern History

The building was originally an officers’ club, founded in 1895. In 1951 the building was turned into a Museum of the History of Capitalism, Working Class Movement and Socialist Construction. Nowadays it accommodates the Museum Centre of Modern History. The permanent exposition of the museum - The Soul of the Japanese Doll, represents the history of the Japanese traditional dolls. In the large, fully equipped hall there are also arranged art and photographic exhibitions, presentations, seminars and other public events.
Read more

Plovdiv - European Capital of Culture 2019

The proclamation of Plovdiv European Capital of Culture 2019 has launched a number of campaigns and activities giving the city entirely new appearance. This is the first Bulgarian city chosen to be European cultural center for a whole year!

City Art Gallery - Permanent Exposition

The exposition is housed in the building of the Young Girls’ College, designed and built in 1881, under the guidance of the architect Joseph Schnitter. The collection presents the most diverse artistic works from the early development of Bulgarian art, with over 200 original pieces of artwork. It is arranged chronologically on two floors. The works of our great Revival artists before and in the first years after the Liberation are displayed. At present the City Art Gallery of Plovdiv holds 7210 works, of which 2310 – paintings, 2549 – graphic works, 545 – sculptures and applied arts works, 574 – icons and 1234 – works of Mexican art.
Read more

Icon Gallery

On display are the best examples of icons wealth funds from the gallery's collection of Plovdiv Bishopric, representing the Eastern Christian art from the Plovdiv region and throughout South Bulgaria by the end of the fifteenth century to the late nineteenth century. Extremely valuable are eight icons from Nessebar - works of masters from the Post-Byzantine Cretan School. Seventeenth century is also presented with a number of icons from Rakitovo. The path of Bulgarian pilgrims who visited the holy places like Jerusalem, Sinai Monastery St. Catherine and the Holy Mountain Athon can be followed by the Eruslimii and the church plate presented. Thematic exhibitions are temporarily displayed, presenting various aspects of symbolic of the Christian art.
Read more

City Art Gallery - Exposition of Tsanko Lavrenov

In his works Tsanko Lavrenov demonstrates a deep sincere devotion to the monuments of the Bulgarian Renaissance. His compositions with themes from Plovdiv and Veliko Tarnovo, with themes from old monasteries of the Holy Mountain of Athos, Rila and Rhodopes, indicate his desire to connect with the natural architectural forms in the name of their respectable historicity. Although almost all the characteristics of his art are typical for modernism and are not unknown to European art of that time, put together in his decorative graphic illustrations, they present a different approach to creativity.
Read more

City Art Gallery - Exposition of Mexican Art

Along with decorative monumental painting, Mexican graphic arts cause significant public interest with its thematic engagement, professional skill and advanced plastic solutions with direct impact on the audience. Since 1981 such visually diverse graphic collections have been presented in our country. The exposition consists of 1,300 drawings, donated to Bulgaria by the National Fund 13 Centuries Bulgaria. This is the first fully equipped art gallery outside of Mexico and a complete overview of modern Mexican graphic. Subsequently received copies of pre-Columbian pottery and replicas of musical instruments, artwork and crafts are also on display.
Read more

City Art Gallery - Exposition of Encho Pironkov

Encho Pironkov’s style is typified by strong expressive gesture with a sense of spontaneity and naturalness. It fragments pictorial space and fits in it figures holding ceremonial position. Dealing with these compositions is dramatically enhanced by the peculiar mystique of the message and the typical strong opposition to the cut-off in them. This art has evolved and been enriched contemporary plastic ideas and opinions, thus forming part of a new mythology in Bulgarian painting. The gallery displays 45 works donated by the artist, covering various periods of his creative development.
Read more

Regional Natural History Museum

The museum displays a variety of expositions, including those of Minerals, Fishes, Mammals, Amphibians and Reptiles, Invertebrates, Birds and Plants. The biggest and the most diversified aquarium in the whole country with over 216 kinds of fish and octopi and a terrarium with living animal species can be explored. After recent reconstructions, the museum boasts with the first Digital Planetarium in Bulgaria with a capacity of 50 seats, which carries the visitors into the atmosphere of nature and the outer space.
Read more

Museum of Aviation

The Museum of Aviation in the village of Krumovo was established in 1991. Since 2005 it has been a branch of the National Museum of Military History –Sofia. The indoor and outdoor expositions display collections of aircraft, aviation engines and equipment, photos, decorations, flags and others. There are two collections devoted to space flights, including the equipment of the first Bulgarian astronaut Georgi Ivanov, as well as photo material of taking off of Sojuz - TM-5 in 1988.
Read more
View Plovdiv on map